We are excited to share with you that the Federal Communications Commission has launched a temporary program to help families and households struggling to afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit provides a discount of up to $50 per month for broadband service, and a one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer or tablet purchased through a participating provider.
A household is eligible if a member of the household meets one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs such as SNAP;
- Receives benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch or the school breakfast program, or did so in the 2019-2020 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a significant loss of income due to job loss or furlough since Feb. 29, 2020; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating broadband provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.